Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Spreading the culture of an art

I had the opportunity this past weekend, to introduce a couple of young men to the martial arts. It is always a joy for me to see the enthusiasm people get as they learn a new art or skill, whether martial arts, or painting, or whatever. It's especially humbling, as I look back and remember early on in my learning as a new participant in class. How much excitement, nervousness, and desire to learn what was going on around me.

I truly enjoy teaching. Anything really. Martial arts, screen printing, even the times I get to show a fellow nurse a skill or talk about a drug we are using.

This week I am getting to precept a new-to-the-ER nurse, who's been in practice a while. It is a bit of pace change for her, but she had a very promising first day.

Just as in the martial arts, it is with anything: a persons skill is directly related to their instructors skill level and ability to teach in a way that reached the student. Our students are a direct reflection of us as teachers. And we should always strive to make great, bright reflections!

-Charlie Veuleman

No comments:

Post a Comment