Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Awesome Breakfast Bar

So, I've kept this secret for a while, until recently when helping a co-worker redesign her dietary and exercise lifestyle. (note I didn't say "help her with her diet" or "give her some exercise tips") Well, here it is, my morning time breakfast bar. Its yummy, and when I eat one, it generally holds me solid for quite some time. Its not a cure all, but rather, a tasty thing you can make, be sure of what is in it (no weird chemical ingredients), and carry with you on trips or to work. Have fun. Bring me one.

4 cups rice krispie cereal
1 1/2 cups dried cranberries (or dried blueberry)
1/2 cup sliced almonds (or sunflower seeds, or walnut, or whatever)
1/2 cup dried quaker oatmeal
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup tahini (sesame seed paste)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup honey (agave nectar is good too)
1 teaspoon vanilla (sometimes I use more)

In a large bowl, combine cereal, cranberries, almonds and oats, and wheat germ, and set aside. Combine tahini, brown sugar and honey in a saucepan and cook over medium heat until bubbling, stirring constantly to prevent burning. Add vanilla and stir until blended. Pour the tahini mixture over the dry ingredients and stir until coated. This is messy as hell. Might need to use your hands. Transfer the mixture to a 9x13-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Press down firmly, I actually place a layer of saran wrap over it and use another pan so that it is perfectly flat. Youll almost 'crush' this into submission. Cool for as long as it takes to be solid enough to withstand cutting and wrapping. I use the fold-over-sandwich bags, and stack in my pantry. Cuts into 12 bars.  You may want to cut smaller, but at 12, its the perfect size for me for breakfast.

Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment