Friday, September 13, 2013

Survival Kit'ing

So, ever since I've gotten back from Goruck Navigator, one of the things I get asked the most, besides the general "How was it?", is "What did yall do about survival kits". I guess a lot of people read the packing list for these types of trips, and "survival kit" as one of the item to bring is pretty vague.

Now, I don't want to come off as some sort of survival expert, I'm not. But I do think it would be beneficial to pass some of this information along. And, also, I have my own thoughts and views on it all, so here goes. Some of this is my own stuff, and some is from what I learned at Navigator and from other people more knowledgeable than I.

First off: What is a survival kit to you? What kind of conditions are you trying to prepare to survive in? If your answer is "Anything", its going to be tough for you to find a bag big enough. What goes in an urban survival kit, vs a backwoods kit, and even a cold weather/altitude kit, is going to be very different.

However, there are some simple, overlapping items that may be of interest to you to pack on a daily basis. My 'survival' kit is packed into my Goruck GR1 Rucksack that I carry on me every day. If at any time you see me with this bag, and I don't leave it often, know that this survival kit is in there.

**Case: A pelican 1040 houses my 'kit'. Its a nice size, and is available at Academy or any online retailers for about $20-25. It is waterproof, has a built in air relief valve, and also comes with a convenient carabiner in the top.

1. Firestarters: A bic lighter. Expecting something more fancy here? Don't count on it. I purchased one of those magnesium bars w/flint & striker combo, but after hearing one of the instructors speak as to how beautifully simple a lighter is, I really couldn't help but pick one up. Now, I still own the magnesium bar, and have even pre shaved some off and placed into the tiniest little ziploc bag. But the Bic is where its at. I did get a smaller sized Bic though. Real Estate inside my Pelican 1040 is at a premium.

2. Fire tinder: There are some little cotton swab/knots out there that retail for about $7-10, but forget that. Heres how to make some super inexpensive lifesavers, I mean fire tinder. Take a cotton ball, swab it into Petroleum jelly. Knead the cotton ball until it seems like it needs more jelly. Repeat swabbing and kneading until you absolutely don't think any more petroleum could be absorbed or held by the cotton ball. Repeat the process, saturating as many cotton balls as you think you'll need. I have about 8-10. I placed them into one of the baby-super-tiny ziploc baggie that I mentioned earlier. Each one of these will burn for 2-4 minutes. And costs pennies to make.

3. Duct tape: I carry duct tape. It really is good for everything. If you get the Bic lighter, just re-wrap some duct tape onto the lighter itself. That giant roll isn't going to fit in your pelican. But you aren't going to need 150 yards of duct tape. Just maybe 10-20 feet. Surprisingly, that length of tape goes nicely on the lighter, and will fit right into your pelican.

4. Cordage: The ol faithful of any outdoor enthusiast is the 550 Paracord. It has a lot of strength, and can be broken down, as the core contains several strands of nylon cord, that make up the whole cord itself. I keep about 10 feet in my pelican, but often consider doubling that.

5. Pen: I keep a sharpie marker in my pelican. I have one of those shorter sharpies, again, space is limited.

6. Notebook: There are some very tiny weather/rain proof notebooks on the market for about $2 each. They often have rulers printed inside the covers that are pretty handy as well. Get a small one.

7. Gloves: Inside my case is about 6 pairs of nitrile gloves. I'm the kind of guy, that if I see a wreck or something happen to someone on the side of the road, I'll want to help. So its nice to keep these in there. You could make all types of "survivalist" arguments about keeping these for water collection....whatever makes you feel better.

8. Flashlight: For about $5-10 bucks, an LED clip on hat light is small, very bright, and easily packs into the case. Forget a giant aluminum mag-light. There isn't that much space.

9. Knife/Multitool: REI had a great folding tool that included screwdrivers and pliers. A knife is a must here guys. The foldability of your item will really save you some space in the case. Oh...and mine has a bottle opener. Keeping it real folks.

10. Survival blanket: There are some very tiny folded silver emergency blankets that you'll find online and in every camping goods section at Walmart or Academy. I probably wouldn't use it ever as a blanket, but rather for weather proofing in the event of needing to make rain/weather shelter. A lean-to would be also very easy to make here, with that paracord we talked about earlier. Don't think you'll need a shelter? Let me know next time you get a flat tire in the rain. A little duct tape to secure this to the side of your vehicle, and you'll stay drier, while you change your tire (rhyme that out, it should make you smile).

11. Compass: The event Navigator really dialed in my knowledge of how to use a compass. In the event of me getting myself so lost I don't know my own name, finding North/W,S,E will be a little easier.

12. Small Wire Saw: This is a pretty flat packing addition to the pack, and would allow for the cutting down of a medium or smaller tree, and very efficiently. I've used these before, and they are delicate. You would want to cut a bit, then let the saw cool off. It does work, and works well. But if you get too rough with it, you might see a failure in the product. Its about $5, and definitely worth it.

13. Water: Iodine tablets. They don't taste great, but its better than gastric distress and diarrhea.

So thats it. A few small things compromise my survival kit. One could also make the case for safety pins, a needle and thread, maybe some fishing line. Or even a pair of aviators, so you can obey Rule number 3. There are lots of items out there that you may be able to justify including in your pack. If so, comment here. I'd love to hear what you have to say.


-Charlie Veuleman

No comments:

Post a Comment